Thursday, September 15, 2005

Hmmm

Of course, I had to take a language class, it's required, but I didn't want to take the easy way out and choose Spanish. My thoughts were that if I have to take a foreign language, I should take something foreign.

Japanese presented itself, but I chose Arabic, because I saw a few Arabic words on some monument to the 1996 olympics and I thought out of all the languages on it, it was the prettiest.

So I decided to learn Arabic because the writing is pretty. And I am right, but I guess it wasn't the best reason to take the class.


It's been pointed out to me several times that if I were to get off my ass and become a good translator, I would become pretty employable.



That's becomeing quite the issue, my degree isn't going to be worth much I don't think.


It's quite the issue.



The language looks pretty intimidating, but it's one of the most structured languages in the world. If you get all the rules down, it probably gets a lot easier.

Of course, those occasionally invisible vocalizations are annoying (Arabic only has actual alphabetical letters for three long vowels, all the short vowels are indicated by little marks that don't have to be there but that change the pronounciation and meaning of a word).


I would like to be able to speak Arabic, Mandarin, German, Spanish and Gaelic. Being a polyglot would be cool.

Maybe French. Other than Arabic, I think they all sound pretty (I think Arabic's actually pretty gutteral unless you master it), even German in it's own way (it's probably much the same).



I'm just pondering things, nothing serious.


I should stop doing that.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to learn Arabic.

I hope you see the whole thing through.

From my trip to Egypt, I learned to say "Thank you", but that's it.

It came in handy, but it didn't appease the people who wanted a tip. (And EVERYONE wanted a tip. Even the police.)

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home